back ground

May 26, 2014

Its wonderful

At church yesterday we had a visitor from Provo Utah who came to Denmark to follow the history of his ancestors.
I was talking with him after sacrament meeting and he asked "So is this a hard mission?"
Well before my mission people were always warning me that it was going to be really hard to serve here. And its been said that the Denmark Copenhagen mission is the 2nd hardest mission out there. (According to measurable statistics like numbers of baptisms.) 
And you know what.... they were right. This is the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. And maybe we don't have a lot of statistical success here in Denmark.
When he asked if it was a hard mission, I couldn't say no. But I didn't want to say yes either.
So I just told him how I really felt. 
"Its a wonderful mission.

I'm completely convinced that every mission is hard. It doesn't matter if you serve in South America where you see hundreds of baptisms a month, or if you serve in Europe where you might see 1 or 2 baptisms a year. It doesn't matter if you serve in a country where people are friendly and happy to talk with you, or if you are sent to a place where people tell you you're wasting your time and slam the door in your face. 
Missions are hard. 
When you put on your name tag and represent Christ, you can expect it to be difficult. Christ suffered more than we can comprehend.... and if we are representing Him and doing His work, that means we are going to have to suffer as well.

But just because its hard doesn't mean it can't be wonderful.

It makes me really sad whenever I talk to people or hear about people who don't enjoy their missions. Because I know that "the attitude you have toward your mission experience is a reflection of your love toward your Heavenly Father and His Son" (PMG 151).

And I would go so far as to say that same thing about life in general... 
The attitude you have toward your earthly experience is a reflection of your love toward your Heavenly Father and His Son.

I'm completely convinced that every life is hard. It doesn't matter if you live in a nice house and have tons of money, or if you live in a crowded apartment and struggle to pay the bills. It doesn't matter if you are perfectly healthy or if you are fighting illness and disease. 
Life is hard. 

But just because its hard doesn't mean it can't be wonderful.

We all have challenges and trials. Life throws things at us that we have no control over.
But we do have control over our attitude. Happiness is a choice. 
The more I've grown to love my Heavenly Father and His Son Jesus Christ, the more I've loved and enjoyed my mission.
And I'm completely convinced that that goes the same for life as well.

That being said...
I had a wonderful week and I hope you all did too! 
Sister Pearson and I took a train on down to the lovely city of Esbjerg to work with the sisters there. 
I got to spend a day with the fabulous Sister Rigby and we had a grand old time. We took a bus through the country side to a nice little town where we had an appointment with a member in the ward. But when we got there we were 15 minutes early. So we decided to take a stroll around the block to kill some time, and I said a little prayer inside that the Lord would guide us to someone who was prepared. I glanced in a window where I saw an older lady doing dishes. The thought that came to my mind wasn't "Aha, she is prepared to hear the gospel!" It was actually more like "She looks really sweet and probably won't slam the door in our face." So I told Sister Rigby I had a good feeling about that door, and we went and knocked on it. 
But guess what. She was prepared for the gospel. 
She immediately recognized us as Mormon missionaries and we ended up having a 10 minute conversation where this sweet woman told us all about how she knows God loves her. She had met and talked with some elders a few years ago, and she even went to a ward party at the church once. We even said a prayer with her on the doorstep and made plans to come back another day. 

I LOVE being a Sister Training Leader because I LOVE that not only do I get to serve the people of Denmark but I get to serve the missionaries of Denmark as well. I love being a Sister Training Leader because MIRACLES happen on splits. I get to witness those miracles and sometimes I even get to help make them happen. 

On another day this week the beautiful Sister Tew and Sister Henderson joined us for splits here in Horsens. And it was a day packed full of miracles and tender mercies! Sister Tew and I were waiting at a bus stop and started talking with a woman who was waiting there as well. It was neat because she recognized Sister Tew from a few months ago, and she recognized me from the bus a few weeks ago! She told us all about her family and all about her faith. When we all got off the bus together we asked if we could pray with her. She didn't even say anything- she just immediately reached out to hold our hands as she bowed her head. It was so so sweet. 

I've realized that the miracles don't usually come in the things that we as missionaries actually plan... The miracles are found in between the lines we write in our planners. We make our plans and then we put them in the Lord's hands. If we do what He expects of us and follow the promptings He gives us, then He blesses us more than we can imagine.

Well things are going GREAT here. Its been an incredible week as always! I've been so busy that I haven't even had time to think about anything other than lessons and investigators and meetings and all that missionary jazz....
But don't you worry! I didn't forget about all the AMAZING things happening back home!
CONGRATULATIONS
to my awesome brother Joshua who GRADUATED HIGHSCHOOL THIS WEEK! you rock!!!!

to my gorgeous little sister who is turning FIFTEEN on Thursday! happy birthday Tia!!

to my fabulous friend Ali Cali who is entering the missionary world the day I leave it! (boo i don't get to see you for 3 whole years) Chile Santiago East Mission is getting the most fabulous sister missionary EVER and I AM SO STOKED ABOUT IT.

and last but not least to my alle bedste veninde Amanda. Who is living her own fairytale and getting married in the temple this week. I can't even put into words how happy I am! 


I love you all. You mean the world to me. Have a beautiful day and a beautiful week.
Remember that even though life is hard, its wonderful.

XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXO
Sister Breanna Rogers
 Sister Vige and Sister Rigby are the sweetest!

And we just had a great time with Sisters Tew and Henderson!

 
district picnic in the parking lot.
#selfie