back ground

July 22, 2013

July 22, 2013

SHOUT OUT to my best friend/ the best brother ever!!!
TILLYKKE MED DIN FØDSELSDAG Kaden!!!!!! 
Last time we were together on your birthday we were in Harry Potter world and you turned 19.... isn't that crazy? Well go dress up like a hipster and fall in love with a stranger and eat breakfast at midnight because you're TWENTY-TWO-OO OO OOO!!! I love you.

Wanna know what I miss more than anything??
WATER. All I want in my life is a nice glass of ice water. If I'm lucky enough to get water, its luke warm carbonated water. Sick. And sometimes the soda tastes like carbonated cough syrup. Gkalvnasfnvkk. 
But if that's the worst thing about my life, I guess I'm doing pretty good! 
My life rocks.

Every Thursday we have sports night, and all the kids and youth and YSA's meet up and play soccer for a couple hours. Danes are crazy good at soccer... even the little kids rock at it. So sports night was one of our ideas to help bring the ward members together and help everyone get involved with missionary work. They invite their nonmember and less active friends and we invite our investigators and we all play the night away. And as I'm running across the field I can't help but think about how SWEET my life is... Playing soccer under a gorgeous European sky with a  bunch of amazing people. Back home, I never had time to go out and meet new people and make new friends and visit people and talk with strangers. My life was all about me- my job and my school classes and my friends. And that's why being on a mission is SO great, because now I don't have time for anything BUT going out and meeting new people and making new friends and talking with strangers. Its so much fun. Especially when you look through Heaven's eyes. Because even though we speak different languages or are different colors or know different cultures or were born on different corners of the planet, we are ALL children of the same Heavenly Father.
So talk to the lady at the cash register when you go to the grocery store. Make friends with the old man in front of you in the long line at the post office. Make cookies for your neighbors that live down the street. Reach out to everyone around you. You never know, the Lord might answer somebody's prayers through you.

One day Sister Pete and I went to the store to buy a map so we wouldn't be lost and confused all the time in this foreign city anymore. But the map we needed cost 200 Kroner and we couldn't afford it. So Sister Peterson and I were trying to figure out how we could make it work, and I was like "well, we could just not buy groceries this week..." and Sister Pete was like "or maybe we could wash all our clothes by hand for the rest of the month or..." And then a lady that had apparently overheard our conversation came up and took the map and said she'd like to buy it for us. She didn't care how expensive it was. She didn't know us from Adam, but she saw that we were in need and she wanted to help. So she gave us the map and said "I know you'll help somebody else someday." And then she smiled and disappeared into the crowd. 
The light of Christ shines through kindness and good deeds. 

So I was pretty bummed that I missed the annual Llama Fest in Spanish Fork this year.... But. the VIKING FEST totally made up for it. The part of Denmark where I live was once inhabited by pillaging vikings. How crazy cool is that?! So there is a Viking Festival every summer out at the old ruins of an ancient viking village. Everybody was dressed up re-enacting and camping out there for the whole week! It was like I just climbed out of the Magic Treehouse (remember those books from elementary school? they were the best) and showed up in a real viking village. We made viking bread and tried on all the viking clothes and pet viking ponies and played viking games and shot a bow and arrow and wandered through the village of shops and people.... It was a dream come true! 

That night my comp and I cut up a big watermelon for dinner and talked about our worst date stories and our future husbands just like any two normal twenty year old girls might do. Because that's what we are. Just two normal twenty year old girls. Missionaries are real people too. Who do things like go to Viking festivals and play soccer and laugh and have fun. Except for our name tags that give us the powers of heaven and except for the angels that are always around us and except for the gift of tongues that helps us speak crazy foreign languages and except for the hymns that are always stuck in our heads and except for the skirts we always have to wear....... we're just normal people! Its pretty cool that Heavenly Father trusts us with the salvation of His children. Its pretty cool to have the Lord answer somebody's prayers through you. Its pretty cool to help somebody find and build and strengthen their testimony. And its absolutely amazing. To be the one the Lord sends to help one of His children find their way back home. The best feeling in the world. 

"I call upon the weak things of the world, those who are unlearned and desised, to thresh the nations by the power of my Spirit;
And their arm shall be my arm, and I will be their shield and their buckler; and I will gird up their loins, and they shall fight manfully for me; and their enemies shall be under their feet; and I will let fall the sword in their behalf, and by the fire of mine indignation will I preserve them." D&C 35:13-14

Have a good week! Drink lots of water for me.
:)
Søster Rogers

 Susanne was baptized on Saturday! It was the best.
 missionary vikings
 Dinner

Peace and vi ses!