back ground

July 15, 2013

Big long letter today. With lots of ramblings about Jesus and other stuff.

I'd just like to let you all know that I turned 20 1/2 last Tuesday.
Where has my life gone!? I'm getting old.

But besides my mixed feelings about growing up, my half birthday was a great day! Woke up at 6:30 and hopped on our bikes at 6:40 to go catch the train to Copenhagen. I love serving here on Sjaelland because I LOVE going to Copenhagen all the time. Oh my heck I'm in love with that city. So we had a big zone training, and seriously there is nothing better than being together with a huge group of missionaries. We are the product of a Revelation. That is the COOLEST feeling. And its something you can experience too... Did you watch the big worldwide broadcast a few weeks ago? If not, go check it out. Right now.  www.lds.org/training/wwlt/2013/hastening/a-new-vision I won't even be offended if you don't read the rest of my letter. Go read up on the newest revelation and then become a product of it. I promise you will see the Lord's hand and witness miracles.
Miracles are happening everyday here in Denmark! I'll tell you about one of them that I've been so lucky to witness and be a part of.

Susanne has been smoking since she was 8 years old. Her husband and her son were taught by the missionaries for a long time and eventually they were baptized. But Susanne never wanted to be a part of the lessons and discussions. Then one day, she listened in as the closing prayer was being said. And the Spirit overwhelmed her with warmth from the tips of her toes clear up to her hair. (That's exactly how she described it) She knew right then and there that the church was true and that she wanted to be baptized.

So now we have been teaching Susanne the lessons and helping her prepare for her baptism. But she's been struggling a LOT with the word of wisdom. She's been smoking for almost 50 years, and trying to quit has been a huuuuge struggle for her. So we brought the Elders Quorum president with us to her lesson last week so that he could give her a priesthood blessing. Susanne was promised that the Savior would give her the strength that she needed to quit smoking. After the blessing, Susanne had tears all down her cheeks and she could barely choke out her words as she said "I've had my last cigarette." 
It was incredible to witness as the Spirit inspired and empowered this woman. It was so incredible to witness as she received spiritual and physical strength from the Savior to conquer her biggest trial.
The Savior does that for all of us. He promises to ease our burdens and make them light. He promises to comfort us through our despair and to strengthen us when we feel weak. He's always there. And if we turn to Him, we can overcome anything. We are more than conquerors through Him that loved us. That's the key to happiness. The key to success. The key to miracles. The key to missionary work.

Speaking of missionary work...
One morning Sister Pete and I were studying our lives away. Just like every other morning. I was probably reading about Captain Moroni and thinking about how my future husband is gonna be just like him... (strong and mighty and firm in the faith of Christ) ... When suddenly there was a knock on our door. And guess who it was? Jehovah Witnesses. We chatted with them for a minute and let them tell us about their beliefs. And it was SO interesting to be on the other side of the door. To listen to strangers talk about some religion that you don't believe in and invite you to learn more and insist that its true. It really opened my eyes to how others view us, and made me realize just how important it is to teach with the Spirit. The Jehovah Witnesses were completely convinced that their religion is true, and since that day I've really started to step back and analyze my own testimony. What it all comes down to is the Spirit. The Spirit testifies of truth. That's how I know that this gospel is true- because I've received a spiritual witness. Because the Spirit testifies to me every single day. Because the Spirit literally leads and guides me and shows me where to go and what to say. Because I've witnessed as the Spirit has worked so many miracles in my life and in the lives of others. Its through the Spirit that I know without a doubt that its true. 

The sad thing is that even though its truer than the sky is blue, not everybody accepts it.
Even when the Savior was here on earth ministering to the people and teaching and preaching His gospel, He didn't convert and baptize every single person He met. And He was the Savior of the world, Jesus Christ, the literal Son of God. He performed miracles every day- healing the sick and the blind and the lame, walking on water, raising the dead, feeding thousands, calming storms... His ministry was incredible and His efforts were flawless. And still, most people wouldn't accept Him. In fact they rejected Him to the point of crucifying Him. But his mission was successful. 
Because He did what He was sent to do. He did the will of the Father.

As a missionary, people reject me every single day. It breaks my heart when people don't want to accept the glorious gospel into their lives, especially without even taking a minute to find out what they are missing. But what I've learned from Christ's perfect example, is that success is measured by your desire and commitment to do the will of the Father.

The same is true for all of us.... Success isn't measured by how much money you have or the car you drive or the house you live in or the clothes you wear or the job you have or the cool things you do or how many likes your pictures get on instagram.....
You are successful when you do what you were sent here to do. The will of the Father.
I'm so thankful for this knowledge I have. And for the opportunity I have to be here in Denmark and witness how this knowledge blesses and changes lives.

Holy cow this turned into a really long letter... Congrats if you made it clear to the end!
I'm going to a Viking Festival now.
Have a great week! 
XOXO
Søster Rogers