back ground

September 9, 2013

Promised blessings

5 months on my mission and I haven't lost my chap stick yet!
So yeah, I'd say I've been pretty successful. 

This week has been great...
One day we ate McDonald's Mcflurries for lunch and it tasted like America in my mouth.
And my friend Bettina is obsessed with Harry Potter and she even made me a wand.
One day our friend Søren was showing us his artwork- Sister Pete guessed one of his abstract paintings to be Satan.... turns out it was Jesus.
And John Mayer was playing in the cafe where we ate lunch.... TENDER MERCY. I love John.
And the leaves on the trees are starting to paint themselves all different shades of red and orange... I'm stoked on life because Autumn is my FAVORITE.
And this week Sister Peterson and I didn't take any of the wrong trains and we only chased one bus. 
So yeah, its been a really successful week for us!

I'll tell you about this weeks biggest success story...
We taught our friend- our Italian investigator- the first lesson. Its exhausting to teach in a a big mix of Danish and English and Italian! We told him more about Joseph Smith and then showed him the Restoration video. I couldn't understand the words, so I just sat there and prayed my heart out that he would feel the truthfulness of it. The Spirit in the room was almost tangible, and after the film he was at a loss for words. He said he felt an indescribable peace and warmth and joy. He said he felt it was true. And before we even invited him to be baptized, he said he will definitely become a member of this church. It was the best feeling to have somebody accept our message! AH. As I'm sitting here at the library typing away and thinking back on it all I can't help but smile. Because its the most wonderful experience to help one of God's children. And to see someone's face light up when you flip the switch and turn on the light. 

But while its the best experience in the world and missionary work is so awesome, it can be really really hard. There are sooo many people that I want to help... and the trials and challenges that some people face would be enough to send me diving under my covers! So sometimes the responsibility that the Lord has given me weighs on my shoulders like nothing I've ever tried to lift before. Like a pool table. Or a refrigerator. Or the whole world maybe.... Sometimes the task is so daunting I don't even know where to start.
Maybe you've felt that way before too. Maybe you even feel that way right now. 
The Lord does ask a LOT of us. But, he doesn't ask us to do it alone. He will always give us the inspiration and direction that we need to accomplish everything He's asked. He always does! If He can show Nephi how to build a ship and if He can show Joseph Smith how to restore His church to the earth, then He can show two sister missionaries how to help His children. And He can show you how to overcome the challenges you face too. Its my testimony that the Lord always shows us the way.

One of the ways the Lord has given me guidance and shown me the way is through my Patriarchal Blessing. Seriously, how cool is it that we can have personal scripture? You can keep a copy of it in your Book of Mormon and go ahead and call it "The Book of Kaden" or "The Book of Joshua" or "The Book of insert your name here." Elder John E. Witsoe said that "It is certain that our Patriarchal Blessing, if we give it proper respect, may be a source of divine help in life's journey. Let us examine our lives from time to time, to learn whether we are so living as to be worthy of the blessings promised." That's the thing- those blessings promised are conditional. They are contingent upon our obedience and faithfulness. We can't just sit back and expect all these wonderful things to happen and expect all these great blessings to just show up on our front porch. We have to seek them. I've spent a lot of time studying my blessing this week, and its given me so much strength and guidance. Its also amazing to realize that right at this very moment I'm experiencing some of those blessings promised to me.

Speaking of promises and revelations and prophecies... I read one of Nephi's incredible prophecies in the Book of Mormon yesterday. 

"And now I would prophesy somewhat more concerning the Jews and the gentiles.. there shall be many which shall believe the words which are written, and they shall carry them forth unto the remnant of our seed.. And the gospel of Jesus Christ will be declared among them.. And it shall come to pass that the Lord god shall commence his work among all nations, kindreds, tongues, and people, to bring about the restoration of his people upon the earth.. and the earth shall be full of the knowledge of the Lord as the waters cover the sea." (2 Nephi 30:3-15)

When I read those verses, sitting at my cluttered desk that's been used by missionaries for the past 20 years, reading from my Danish scriptures a billion miles from home in this beautiful land of Denmark, I looked down at my black name tag and realized that I'm living out Nephi's prophecy right now

Have a great week and go seek after all the promised blessings the Lord is ready to give you!
Jeg elsker jer!
MKH,
Søster Rogers