back ground

September 16, 2013

Priesthood Power

I made the best banana bread ever and it tastes like home.
But I'm really excited to cook food in Fahrenheit instead of Celsius again someday.....
In Denmark you don't see Fahrenheit. Or miles. Or window screens. Or bed sheets. Or bath tubs. Or chocolate chips. Or dryers. Or ice. Or ceiling lights. Or peanut butter. Or whipped cream that has sugar in it. Its an interesting place, Denmark. I love it. Someday when I have Fahrenheit and chocolate chips and ceiling lights again I'm going to miss a lot of other things. Like cobblestone streets and snow globe skies. Cheese and jam on toast. Gå gades. Colorful houses... especially the yellow ones. Bicycles with baskets and how that's not even nerdy. How there's no pressure to curl or straighten or style your hair, because natural is the style. Trains that make you feel like your on your way to Hogwarts every day. Pastries that make your mouth water....
I'm in love with this place. 
I've officially placed København as my number one favorite city. Even above Boston and San Francisco. This week Sister Peterson and I got to visit Vor Frelsers Kirke, where we climbed a million spiral stairs up to the top of a tower with the most magnificent view of my favorite city.
It was AMAZING. 
 
On Wednesday I thought a lot about that day 12 years ago.
Back when my world was only as big as the few blocks I could pedal on my bike. Back in my world where the sun always shined and a bad day was one that ended without dessert. I remember waking up for school one morning, expecting to find pancakes or oatmeal as I trudged down the stairs. Instead I found my horrified parents watching the news show clips of the twin towers tumbling down out of the Manhattan skyline. It was that day- September 11, 2001- when I first began to realize how dark and scary the world really was. And over the past 12 years its only become more clear to me. I am so thankful to have the Gospel in my life, and for the comfort and peace it has always given me. One of my favorite scriptures is Ether 12:4 where it says that "whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God,which hope cometh of faith, maketh an anchor to the souls of men." That's exactly why I'm serving a mission- to share that hope that the Gospel brings. I'm so thankful for the opportunity that I have right now to share the truest source of light and happiness with the world.
 
One specific source of peace, comfort, and strength that I've found in the Gospel lies in the hands of my father. Throughout my life I've been so blessed to be able to turn to my dad in times of sickness, sadness or struggle. I've always thought that I can feel Heaven in his hands when he places them on my head to give me a priesthood blessing.
 
I love what President Uchtdorf said about the responsibility of priesthood holders.
"We who have been ordained to the priesthood of God are called to practice "the healer's art." It is our job to build up, repair, strengthen, uplift, and make whole. Our assignment is to follow the Savior's example and reach out to those who suffer. 
As home teachers, we are healers. As priesthood leaders, we are healers. As fathers, sons, brothers, and husbands, we should be committed and dedicated healers. We carry in one hand a vial of consecrated oil for blessing the sick, in the other we carry a loaf of bread to feed the hungry, and in our hearts we carry the peaceable word of God, "which healeth the wounded soul."
When God works through us, no one and nothing can stand against us.
Rise up to your true potential as a son of God, and you can be a force for good in your family, your home, your community, your nation, and indeed in the world." (Priesthood Session "Four Titles" April 6, 2013)
 
One Sunday, a woman in my ward here in Slagelse stood up to give a talk in sacrament meeting. She has been having heart problems lately, and when she was giving her talk she almost fell over. Her husband- who is in the bishopric- caught her before she fell, and immediately sat her down. Not a moment had passed before the bishopric was circling her, their hands placed on her head. Perfect silence swept over the whole congregation as every head immediately bowed. I could barely hear the words of the priesthood blessing that was whispered, but the Spirit that pierced the room in the intensity of that moment brought me and everyone else to tears. 
 
Its incredible and wonderful to me that the power of God- the almighty creator of the universe- exists here on earth. It's incredible and wonderful that the same power that was used to create the earth we live on, can be found in the hands of worthy priesthood holders, and can be used to bless and strengthen and comfort and save on less than a moments notice.
I'm so thankful for the priesthood.
 
I hope you all have a great week! Put ice in your water and peanut butter on your bread and count your blessings!
JEG ELSKER JER
xoxo
Søster Rogers

 Vor Frelsers Kirke (spiral stairs)
 View of København from the tower