back ground

September 23, 2013

Faith the size of a mustard seed

Last night I dreamed in Danish. So that was pretty cool. Maybe that means I'm almost fluent? Hahaa not even close. But I have gotten to the point where I can come home from church on Sunday feeling spiritually enlightened and uplifted instead of just totally exhausted and brain dead! And when I talk to people on the streets and teach lessons I don't have to worry if I'm going to understand them or not and I don't have to think about what I could say next. It just comes.
Speaking of den danske sprog, I had to go to Copenhagen this week to take my immigration test. I was locked inside this little glass cubicle while a Danish computer man tested my Danish speaking skills and my knowledge of Denmark. It was kind of fun. When Sister Peterson and I studied all the trivia questions and Denmark's history the night before I felt just like a normal procrastinating college student! But unlike college where if you fail a test you just end up with an ugly letter on your transcripts, if I failed this test I could get kicked out of the country! 
But don't worry, it was pretty easy.

We got to spend another day in Copenhagen for ZONE CONFERENCE. Which -to a missionary- is the equivalent of Christmas. At Zone Conference I lost count of how many times I heard the words "Nothing is too hard for the Lord." And every time I heard it, even the 37th time, I felt the Spirit testify that its true. Nothing is too hard for the Lord! He created this planet. He's not asking me to create a world (not yet at least...) He's asking me to work a little harder. To walk a little farther. To come home a little more tired. To exercise a little more faith. He overcame the world, and so I know that He can help me overcome anything. I know He will help you overcome the trials and challenges you face too, all you need is faith. Faith the size of a mustard seed. I love that analogy because the contrast between the size of a mustard seed and the size of the tree it can become is the biggest contrast ever. A mustard seed is TINY. And if we exercise faith as a mustard seed, we can perform miracles! And then that seed will grow up into a gigantic tree. 
And if faith the size of a mustard seed can bring miracles, just imagine what that mustard tree of faith can do.

After Zone Conference I felt like a bottle of Coca-Cola that had just been shaken by an earthquake. An earthquake that reached a 10 on the rector scale. Caffeinated and carbonated and ready to explode like fireworks on the 4th of July! (I hope you guys like my cheesy descriptive analogies and metaphors:) Haha) But it was perfect because for part of Zone Conference we got to hit the streets! In one hour Sister Peterson and I let our coca-cola explode like Old Faithful all over Copenhagen. We talked to everybody we passed and gave out sooo many pamphlets and killed everybody with love and happiness and the good news. 

One cool thing that happened was when we started talking to a nice lady on the street and she turned out to be a member! On a whim we gave her a Book of Mormon and asked her to give it away... she accepted the challenge- she was actually on her way to dinner with a nonmember friend right then! That awesome experience inspired Sister Peterson and I to carry two huge boxes of Book of Mormons clear across the country back home to Slagelse. (side thought- if 44 book of mormons are that heavy I wonder how much all the book of mormons on the whole planet put together weights..... probably a LOT.) Anyways. We're giving a book to every member of our ward. Our whole ward accepted the challenge to give that Book of Mormon away!
Last conference Elder Neil L. Andersen said "I promise you, as you pray to know with whom to speak, names and faces will come into your mind. Words to speak will be given in the very moment you need them. Opportunities will open to you. Faith will overcome doubt, and the Lord will bless you with your very own miracles." 

So I want to give you that challenge too! Pray for missionary opportunities. Pray to know who you can share a Book of Mormon with. You've been promised by an apostle of the Lord that as you pray, names and faces will come into your mind. Even if your faith is as tiny as a mustard seed, you'll see miracles. 

So transfer calls were this week! Well at least they were supposed to be. Every time the phone rang for the whole weekend Søster Pete and I jumped a mile in the air. But our transfer call never came.... guess we're just going to be eternal companions or something! JK. Apparently the sisters in the MTC right now haven't gotten their VISAs yet, so none of us are transferring until the new sisters come.
I'm sooo glad it worked out like that, because our friend told us that she's been praying and praying and praying, and that she told God that if its the right time for Francesco to accept to gospel, then me and Sister Peterson have to stay here in Slagelse. I was scared one of us would be transferred and then she would lose faith and hope... so, good thing we're both staying! Who knows for how long though....

Funnest thing that happened this week: eating soup with my hands.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, my mission is such a cultural experience! We ate dinner one night with our friend that lived in Africa. And in Africa they eat this stuff called "fufu." Which is bread dough. They eat soup with uncooked bread. And they eat it all with their hands! I felt like I was 3 years old again and it was so fun. But I definitely prefer my bread baked....

Another fun thing this week was when we met a group of people who were just chilling on their front patio with their coffee, beer, cigarettes, and some really good Chris Brown music. They were really nice and listened to what we had to say about the Book of Mormon, and one of them was super interested and asked if he could keep a book and every pamphlet that we had. But one of his friends asked us what we're doing here. Two 20 year old girls with so many better things to do. He basically told us that we're wasting our lives right now.... 
Boy was he wrong!! 
Maybe he was right about the fact that most people don't want to listen. Maybe he was right about the fact that most people have it good with their own religions. And you know, maybe he was right about the fact that there are LOTs of other things I could be doing with my life right now. But you know what I told him? 
That I want to be here. There's no where else I'd rather be. This is the farthest thing from a waste of time. This is the best thing I've ever done.

I love being a missionary.

I hope you all have a great week! Remember to pray about who you can share a Book of Mormon with. I promise you, just like Elder Andersen did, that opportunities will open up to you. Just plant your mustard seed.
Held og lykke!

MKH
Søster Rogers
 We decided to take a break from adventuring on Pday and treated ourselves to 15 Kroner avocado facials. Complete with cucumbers.
Chilling with Channing! hahaaa