back ground

November 4, 2013

Hurricanes in Denmark.... & Go out and serve!

Hi guys! Don't worry, I'm alive!
You probably weren't worried...... but you probably didn't know there was a HURRICANE last week.
Last Pday we met up with the elders at the church to celebrate Halloween. We were going to carve jack-o-lanterns, except we all forgot to buy pumpkins. But I made chilli just like my mom does every year on Halloween. And we all made sugar cookies and frosted them with orange frosting. Meanwhile there was a massive storm brewing outside... We looked out the window to see furious wind blowing trees down and tossing all sorts of things up into the air. All the ward members started calling us and telling us to be careful, and then we got a message from President saying that it was too dangerous and he didn't want anybody going outside for the rest of the day. It was an Elf con 5 out there! The buses stopped running and so did the trains and the 5 of us missionaries were stranded in the church building for SEVEN hours. We played the piano and guitar and sang songs and told stories around an invisible campfire wile the storm was busy destroying things outside. My imagination went a little wild and I was worried we might be trapped forever with nothing to eat but sugar cookies and nothing to do but read hymn books and church manuals.... but the storm calmed down eventually and we were able to go home.

Despite the hurricane and the rain storms and the bitter cold wind, its been a really good week here in Denmark! 
We went out for ice cream with our investigator Bettina on Tuesday. It went really well and she was so excited for us to teach her about the Plan of Salvation the next day. Which is why we were completely shocked when we got a text message the next morning saying she couldn't do this anymore.... She was too stressed and overwhelmed and canceled our lesson and said she didn't know if she could meet with us again. We got dropped. And we were soooo sad! Sister Grant and I prayed for her all week. 
And then guess who showed up to church yesterday??!! Ok not only did Bettina come to church, SHE SHARED HER TESTIMONY in sacrament meeting!! Well it was definitely more of a thankimony but it was so great I wanted to cry. 
There is power in prayer. God really is there.

We also had a wonderful lesson with our Italian investigator Francesco. He has changed so much since we started teaching him and its been AMAZING to see how the gospel has truly brought a new light into his life and his eyes. I don't even speak the same language as Francesco! And he is 50 years old. Yet I feel like he is one of my best friends... Its wonderful how the gospel brings people together. Because we really are one family. 
Also, Francesco makes incredible Italian food. that man should open a restaurant, his pasta is to die for! And he always gives us heaping plates of gourmet food that weigh as much as I do. He said its so I won't be able to fit on the plane and have to stay here in Denmark forever....
good thing we don't eat dinner with them every day, or else that definitely might come true.

One of the questions I hear a lot as a missionary is "why do bad things happen to good people?" or "if there really is a God and he really loves us, why does he let so many bad things happen?" Well I read a really good talk by Henry B Eyring this week and he answered those questions better than I've ever been able to before. President Eyring explained how "the Lord's way to help those in temporal need requires people who out of love have consecrated themselves and what they have to God and to His work." Heavenly Father hears the prayers of His children around the world, and His way of helping them is through us. He has invited and commanded us to participate in His work to lift up those in need. That is why it is so vital that we serve each other! 
So ask yourself- 

Have I done any good in the world today? 
Have I helped anyone in need? 
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not I have failed indeed...
Has anyone's burden been lighter today 
Because I was willing to share? 
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?

This week I want to challenge you to do something good in the world. Help someone in need. I know that "the Lord sends the Holy Ghost to make it possible to "seek , and ye shall find" in caring for others just as He does in finding truth." Pray for opportunities to serve. Heavenly Father will lead you to those who need you. 

Happy November everybody!
I'm thankful for the gospel. I'm thankful for the opportunity I have to be in this wonderful country and serve such wonderful people. I'm thankful for the warm apartment I get to go hide in from the Hurricane that's coming again today.
I'm thankful for all of you!
Have a GREAT week. Jeg elsker jer.
MKH
Søster Rogers