back ground

September 15, 2014

Legos Lamanites and Lydighed

Any week that kicks off with a day in an almost-empty amusement park is bound to be a good one.


Sister Hale and I were kids for the day (lets be honest.... we're kids everyday....) and had a BLAST at LegoLand. My favorite was the aquarium tunnel. 
Og ved I hvad? The week only went up from there. 

This week:

  • We went up to Århus for a big Zone Training.
    And we wore our sweat pants. Because we didn't feel like changing.
    Haha.... you see, we gave a training to all the missionaries about how its important to change. We can't just stay in our comfort zones (our or comfy sweat pants) all the time. We have to be willing to change. Because like Elder Bednar taught us- we can't keep doing the same things and expect to get different results.

  • We accompanied our sweet friend Solveig down to an old folks center where we joined her little choir of gamle mennesker singing old Danish love songs/ patriotic songs/ nature-praising songs. It was such a treat! 

  • Sister Hale handed me a pair of scissors at 7:00 one morning and said "værsgo! cut my hair!" So..... I gave the girl BANGS. I cut like 10 inches of my companion's hair off. (I have NEVER done that before and I have noooooo idea why she trusted me..... too much sugar in her morning oatmeal?) It was quite thrilling and she looks like a babe with those bangs.

  • I ate a piece of pizza topped with bacon and hotdogs. It was an opportunity I just couldn't pass up. And I was quite surprised at how tasty it was.....

  • We ventured into the forest dressed up like LAMANITES and battled the primary kids on their little "Book of Mormon Tour." Jo tak. It was a blast. 

  • On our way home one day we ran into an international market where we sampled cheese from all over Europe and bought some fruit from Italy. I've basically tasted the whole world whilst being on my mission...... 

OHHH its been a lovely week. 
I read this quote by L. Tom Perry this morning-
"The discipline contained in daily obedience and clean living and wholesome lives builds an armor around you of protection and safety from the temptations that beset you as you proceed through mortality." 
That quote really jumped out at me. Probably because we had a few encounters throughout the week with quizzical people almost criticizing us for being obedient to so many rules.... 
Its true that in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints we live a high law. The standards that we live by might seem ridiculous and even unreachable to the rest of the world. 
And its true that as missionaries we live an even higher law. We have this special little white handbook packed full of rules and very specific guidelines that we live by! 
But I've never felt restricted and I've never been forced. 
I obey because I want to. I obey because I trust the Lord. I obey because I love Him.
I think that as human beings a lot of us have this natural inclination to want to do the exact opposite of whatever someone tells us to do. But as we experience the consequences of the choices we make, we discover that rules are only there for our benefit. I've definitely seen that throughout my mission, and throughout my whole LIFE.
I've also really come to learn that I NEED the blessings and the strength that the Lord promises to those who are obedient. I simply can't get by without them.

I hope you all have a wonderful week! 
CTR.
TTYL.
Sister Rogers