back ground

October 14, 2013

I heard a "Fun" song on the radio (tender mercy) and it took me right back to the rooftop poolside concert in Vegas with Amanda and Melissa... it feels like that was just yesterday! Or maybe last week. But definitely not a whole year ago....
Time needs to slow down or something. Its flying wayyyy fast. Can you guys believe its been over 6 months since we saw each other?? 
HURRAH for 12 whole months left in Denmark!!

I had a great 6 month mission-iversary... I hopped on my bicycle to ride home from an appointment and a THUD THUD THUD my tire was completely flat. Because somebody stole some parts off my bike. How rude.
Sooo we've been on foot all week, and my two feet have carried me alllll over this entire city in the past few days! My cute comp Sister Grant and I have been unbelievably busy this week, and its been awesome!

One day we had an appointment with an inactive woman. She's 70 going on 17 and such an awesome lady. When we showed up, her whole family was there waiting to talk to us! (None of them are members!) We had such a great little lesson- We talked with them about Jesus Christ's atonement and how Christ can help us overcome all of our weaknesses and challenges, because He overcame the whole world. Sister Grant, with her minimal Danish, pulled out 3 Nephi 13:32-33 and testified that Heavenly Father really does know what we need, and that He will help us if we turn to Him. It was amazing, and perfectly exactly what they needed to hear. 

That same day we met up with our cute Jehovas Witness friend to go out for ice cream. I got a flødeboller on my ice cream because I learned how to say the Danish tongue twister "Fem flad flødeboller på et fladt flødeboller fad" and I'm really proud of myself for that. While we were all enjoying our ice cream, I had this spur of the moment idea to invite her to come to our next appointment with us. And she agreed! She said she'd love to see what its like when we teach. The appointment was with our Muslim investigator friend, and it turned out to be the most amazing lesson for her to come sit in on....

We've been teaching him on and off for as long as I've been in Denmark. Because of his Muslim background its been really hard to teach him, and hard for him to accept all of the doctrines and teachings. He's been reading from the book of Mormon a lot, and he says whenever he does he feels so much peace. So this week we thought we'd teach him a simple lesson about faith from Alma 32. How when you plant a seed you know if its good if it starts to grow. We compared that to the church- how it started out as a tiny seed- Joseph Smith- and now its grown into a huge incredible tree- 15 million members around the whole world!! He loved that. And then he told us that he knows the church is true!! My heart was pounding.... We hadn't planned on inviting him to baptism that day.... But as I was sitting there searching for words, trusting in everything I couldn't see, the only thing that kept coming to my mind was invite him to baptism, invite him to baptism. 
We asked, "do you want to be a member of the church?"
He replied, "Yes. I do want to become a member."
WE INVITED HIM TO BE BAPTIZED AND THEN HE SAID YES!!!!! My heart was on fire!! The Spirit was so strong. He was wiping tears from his eyes as he said he felt so much peace and happiness. 
It got even better when he came to church on Sunday for the first time ever!! I can't even put into words the overwhelming joy I felt the moment I saw our investigator wander into the chapel on Sunday morning.....

I felt just like Ammon....
"My joy is full, yea my heart is brim with joy.. there never were men that had so great reason to rejoice as we, since the world began, yea, and my joy is carried away.. blessed be the name of my God, who has been mindful of us, wanderers in a strange land" (Alma 26).

That's how I feel every day.... When a stranger accepts a Book of Mormon. When a new friend wants to learn more. When an investigator comes to church. The joy is indescribable. It really is the greatest blessing, to "have been made instruments in the hands of God to bring about this great work" (Alma 26:3).

So yeah. Its been a great week! Sister Grant is the best companion, she's such a good missionary and I'm pretty sure she came pre-trained! She's so genuine and sincere and easy to be around... I just adore her! 
I was so nervous at first, to train a brand new missionary. Because if I can't understand, then nobody can! But it has been the most AMAZING experience. 
It's true what they say- "you don't know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have left..."
The Lord is helping me soo much. Sometimes I feel like "a wanderer in this strange land," but God is soo mindful.
I'm striving to follow Him every day, because I know that in His footsteps I'll be ok. But sometimes its a little rough, and in those moments He takes me by the hand. And then there are times when I am absolutely incapable and inadequate- and He carries me. He really really does. 

I love you all and can't wait to hear from you again next week! Thank you so much for your constant love and support. I have the best family and friends anybody could ever ask for.
Fem flad flødeboller på et fladt flødeboller fad. Try and say that 5 times fast. If you can even say it at all... :)
Have a great week!!
XOXO,
Sister Rog